Index is an application to index discs. It stores the catalogue in a file and allows it to be browsed using a filer-like interface. Searches are possible through all the index files in a given directory structure, allowing specific files or applications to be located.
The application is Freeware meaning that you can freely use and copy it: please read the license contained in the Help file for more details. You can download Index from this page.
An example of some Index windows
I would welcome any feedback about Index, especially concerning bugs and suggestions for new features.
Index is RISC OS 4 compatible, although it does not support long filenames. To support these would require a complete re-write, which I am currently considering. In the light of this, I have no immediate plans to make the present version of Index 32-bit compliant (it contains ARM code).
Download: Index 1.10
47 Kbytes | 19th June, 2002 | 26-bit only
0.06 (2 March 1997)
- First publicly available version.
1.07 (17 July 1999)
- The documentation has been overhauled.
- The use of ADFS/RAMFS/SCSIFS_DiscOp has been removed, allowing disc sizes to be determined for any type of filing system.
- Big discs under RISC OS 3.6 or later are catered for, in as much as OS_FSControl 55 is called and the space is returned as 'unknown' if it is too big to fit in Index's file format.
1.08 (28th September 1999)
- Changed the default memory settings for cataloguing discs (to fix ArcFS problems).
- Fixed bug in scan code for RISC OS 3.6 and later.
1.09 (6 November 1999)
- Fixed bug that prevented the 'use free memory' scan option when there was more than 28Mb free.
- Fixed memory leak in heap management routines.
1.10 (22 May 2000)
- Fixed bug with OS_FSControl 55 that stopped indexing on RISC OS 3.5 or greater.