WinEd is a template editor, whose founding aim was “to do everything which TemplEd could do, only better!”.It was originally written by Tony Houghton, who developed it until version 2.87 in 2003. Details of this version can be found on the archive of Tony’s site. Development was then picked up by Adam Richardson, who continued to maintain and improve WinEd until the release of version 3.22a in 2009. Details of Adam’s versions can be found on his website; the major releases were provided via PackMan, and also made available to download.
WinEd has its own page on RISC OS.info, which should be viewed as the place to bookmark for updates.
This page provides a – possibly temporary – home from which to download versions of WinEd which have been built more recently than those mentioned above. Primarily intended to solve issues on modern hardware, further development of features might be considered if there is interest.
Download: WinEd 3.25
184 Kbytes | 28th July, 2020 | 26/32-bit neutral, ARMv7 OK | Requires RISC OS 4.0 or later
In addition, a more recent build taken from a snapshot of the code in SVN is available below. This test build may have additional improvements, but could also have new bugs and features all of its own. See the version history below for details of changes.
Download: WinEd r104
184 Kbytes | 1st August, 2020 | 26/32-bit neutral, ARMv7 OK | Requires RISC OS 4.0 or later
Download: WinEd 3.25 Source
336 Kbytes | 28th July, 2020
The version history of WinEd since version 3.23 is as follows:
3.23 (17 June 2020)
- Resolve a significant NULL pointer dereference in the menu code, which made the application almost unusable with a High Vector ROM.
3.25 (28 July 2020)
- Resolve numerous additional NULL pointer dereferences in the menu handling code.
- Stop the overwrite check when files are saved to Wimp$Scrap as part of the Data Transfer Protocol.
- Add a Cancel button to the Resize Icons dialogue.
- Replace the arrows in the Align Icons dialogue with “left”, “right”, “up” and “down”.
- Allow the default action in the Icon Edit dialogue to be switched to updating the icon data without changing the icon’s dimenstions, using a new option in the Choices dialogue.
- Improve window scrolling, taking into account the contents of the browser and the statistics windows and supporting extended scroll requests when available. This includes the templates being edited, and for previews if such requests are enabled in the template.
- Ensure that template strings are correctly zero-terminated when passed to the debug logging system.
- Disable cursor key movement of selected icons during drag operations, to prevent the two interfering.
- Standardise the capitalisation of validation commands in the Icon Picker.
- Make the browser pane fill the complete width of the browser window in large screen modes.
- Correctly set the Max text length field in the Edit icon dialogue box for indirected, sprite-only icons.
- Limit ESG values to the range 0-15, in line with the changes made for Ursula.
- Ensure that the Save As dialogue closes after a save triggered by closing an unsaved file.
- Fix a problem when loading templates whose names contain a % character, introduced in 3.20.